This post is sort of a cross between self-service magazine’s The Essentials and the TOP SHELF from Into the Gloss. Inspired by these two sources I decided to set myself the task of selecting my beauty essentials, i.e. those beauty products that are part of my daily routine and that I keep buying over and over again.
I consider myself a pretty low-key person. I can easily get my hair and make up done in 15-20 minutes. As a result, I was a bit surprised (embarrassed?) to admit that my very essentials consist of no more no less than 15 different products. Oh well… maybe I’m not that simple.
Anyway, here’s my essential top shelf:
From left to right:
- Kiehl’s Crème de Corps: I’m a body moisturiser obsessive. I use it religiously after every shower. I’ve tried loads of different brands and this is by far my favourite. It really keeps your skin beautifully moisturised for at least 24 hours. Plus, it is pleasantly (and lightly) scented and feels really luxurious on the skin. (A little additional note: due to its err…hefty price I typically (i) wait until I get a promotion/voucher discount to buy it and (ii) alternate its use with a cheaper / over-the-counter moisturiser)
- Bumble and Bumble Seaweed Shampoo: I love this shampoo. Cleans well, smells good, makes my hair shiny and keeps frizz under control. And this is basically all I look for in a shampoo.
- Frédéric Fekkai Glossing Cream: A pea-size amount of this cream and hair is glossy, smooth and virtually frizz-free. It smells divine too. I absolutely love it. I’ve also tried the famous Moroccan oil, but my heart is with Fekkai.
- Kiehl’s Ultimate Strength Hand Salve: I cannot live without hand cream, especially here in london where tap water is very hard. Again, I’ve tried basically all over-the-counter versions out there and this is the very best for my skin. A 150 ml bottle lasts about one year. Definitely worth the ‘investment’.
- Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair: A classic that works.
- Eye cream: This one is by StricVectin-SD. I like it, but it’s not my holy grail of eye creams. I like Bobbie Brown Hydrating Eyecream better and will go back to it once I finish this.
- Origins Starting Over: This ‘age-erasing’ moisturiser is a perfect match for my oily+dehydrated skin. I like it so much that every night I look forward to applying it (seriously). I don’t want to live without it.
and there’s more…From left to right:
- Avène Skin recovering cream: A must before foundation. Simple and reliable. Well-priced too.
- Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua: I’d been a Clinique-foundation kind of girl for about…errr….16 years until I tried a magazine sample of this product. Et voila, I was sold. Great scent, ultra light and perfect coverage. I love it. Don’t plan to even try any other foundation for years to come. (OK, to be honest some times when the weather is hot, i.e. when I am not in the UK, I also use Estee Lauder’s Daywear Tinted moisturiser or MAC’s Face and Body foundation. These also work very well on my skin)
- Shu Uemura eyelash curler: I’ve got long and thick eye-lashes (latin genes…), but they are slightly too straight. This curler does magic. For me it is more essential than any other eye make-up product.
- Estée Lauder Sumptous mascara: I actually don’t use this every day. But when I wear mascara this is my favourite. Giant, beautiful eyelashes when used after the curler.
- Dior Addict Ultra-shine 222: I have a considerable collection of lipsticks from different brands and price tags. But this is the only one I bought more than once. And it was the one I chose to wear on my wedding day. (Little note: my 2 Paul & Joe lipsticks are close runner-ups, though. Partic the one from last year’s cat collection)
- Lip balm: I cannot live without lip balm. I’m not faithful to a single brand, though. This one is from Nuxe and I bought it in Paris. But I’m also happy with a classic chapstick, Burt’s Bees or Roche-Posay.
- Urban-Decay 24/7 glide-on eye pencil: A classic, reliable black eye pencil. Doesn’t smudge, it’s very soft, and it’s well-priced. Winner.
- Laura Mercier Illuminating Quad Pink Rose: My favourite blush. Gives a beautiful and very long-lasting rosy colour to your cheeks. As it combines 4 different shades you can adjust how rosy you want your blush to be. Definitely a very high quality product.
Uff..and this is it. For now.